Monday, May 3, 2010

Simple Mozzarella-Steak Pinwheel

Using pizza dough the way it's used in this recipe is a very simple, yet very impressive, technique. It's the most basic stuffed bread, but when your guests have a piece they'll think you spent forever making it because it is just that awesome.

Once again my parents had their friends over and I agreed to make a few snacks for them. These are good opportunities for me to practice cooking since I can pick whatever I want to make and then have them pay for the ingredients! I have made pinwheels before; I used a recipe out of one of Giada's cookbooks and have since altered it a little. Her recipe had the bread stuffed with mozzarella, spinach, and prosciutto. I made it that way, and it was fantastic. When I made it again this time, I took out the prosciutto since my mom's friend is a vegetarian. And it was still fantastic.

But then I was thinking, what about everyone else? Surely they would like a stuffed bread with meat in it too (mostly I was thinking of me). So I decided to make an entirely different recipe, using steak. And what goes with steak and bread better than pepper, onions, mushrooms, and cheese? That's right, nothing. And so this recipe was born. And then devoured.



Seriously, it was delicious. And so easy to make. Especially if you just buy the pizza dough like I do. You can make it from scratch, but the would negate the point of this recipe being quick and easy. It's also very versatile, so it's easy to substitute whatever you want. But you'll want to try this one, trust me.

Remember, the thinner the cut of steak you can buy, the better it will roll in the bread! So try your best, ok?
Also, props to Mark for seasoning the steak and helping me make this.


Ingredients:

1lb pizza dough
2 small-medium onions, thinly sliced
1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 4oz can of mushrooms, liquid drained
.3lb very thin cut beef round
2 cups shredded mozzarella
Dry sage
Salt and pepper
Flour

Pre-heat oven to 425

Heat a metal pan on medium heat, coat the bottom with a thin layer of olive oil, and sweat onion for a few minutes until they start to soften. Add peppers and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and continue to sweat the vegetables. Stir frequently and do not brown. Cook until very soft, adding a small amount of water to pan if needed.

Season beef with salt, pepper, and a liberal amount of sage on both sides.

Remove vegetables from pan, place in a thin mesh colander over a bowl to drain out excess liquid. In the same pan, cook the beef for about 10-20 seconds each side. Let cool. Cut into thin strips.

On a large, lightly floured surface roll out the pizza dough until it's roughly 12x14, and 1/4 inch thick.

Sprinkle 1 cup of the mozzarella on the dough. Spread out the vegetable mixture, then layer the beef strips, in the direction that the dough will be rolled. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top.

Roll the dough gently and tightly into a cylinder. Pinch the sides closed. Place seam-side down on a parchment paper lined (or greased) baking sheet, and brush it with olive oil. Bake for 25 minutes, or until bread is golden brown.

Let cool for at least 10 minutes, then cut the bread with a serrated knife. It will be messy at first, so it is best to let it cool longer so that the cheese can hold everything inside together.

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP