Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Basil and Garlic Pesto

This recipe was taught to me many many years ago (like 3 or 4) by my friend Sarah. The only difference is that we never used a recipe, so here's my attempt at measuring! Don't worry, I did test it out and make changes, and I like these amounts best. Obviously you can adjust it to your own taste, but it never hurts to have a guide!

I really like super garlicky food, but I toned this one down for normal people. When I make it, I tend to double the recipe, seeing as how my family is insane and eats more than one would consider humanly possible. It doubles well, but you might have to adjust the amount of oil or garlic depending on your tastes.






Ingredients:

1 bunch of basil, stemmed
1/3 cup olive oil
1-2 garlic cloves
1 lb farfalle pasta (bow-tie), or medium shells *
1 cup shredded mozzarella
Salt and pepper to taste


Boil water and cook pasta according to directions on box. Using a food processor, blend basil, garlic, oil, salt and pepper until desired consistency. Taste, and add more of any ingredients if necessary.

Leaving a very small amount of water in the pot (just enough to coat the bottom), strain the pasta. Return to pot, add pesto and mozzarella, stir, and heat on low until the cheese just starts to melt.

Serve with extra mozzarella on the side.


*Note - other types of pasta can be used as well, but I like these the best!

4 comments:

Laura March 22, 2010 at 3:40 PM  

I totally need to take down this recipe because I'm obsessed with pesto and I've been looking for a recipe!

Megan Farquharson March 23, 2010 at 1:05 AM  

It's good stuff! You should definitely try it :)

Sarah March 26, 2010 at 9:39 PM  

See, I totally agree with farfalle for making Pasta Fresca (which, should add to your recipe repertoire!) but I like linguine or something stringlike for pesto. Hmm, I wonder how much pasta shape affects tasting.

Megan Farquharson March 29, 2010 at 3:50 PM  

I will totally add Pasta Fresca. I was planning on waiting until our summer garden provides us with awesome tomatoes.

Also, you're wrong. Farfalle and Shells are always the best choice! They are much cleaner to eat, and so I enjoy them.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP