Friday, February 26, 2010

Tabouli, Tabbouleh, Tabouleh

I have no idea how to actually spell tabouli, so I tend to stick with spelling it the simplest way for me. I use to love making this with the Near East box of it, which includes the spice pack and all I had to do was add tomato, cucumber, and feta. Then one day, I couldn't find it anymore! I checked multiple grocery stores across three states (I didn't travel specifically for the tabouli, I just happened to remember to look for it a lot) and I could not find a trace of it! The brand is still around, but not the box of tabouli! I use to make a batch every week, and put a little in a tortilla every day for my lunch, so how was I suppose to live without it?


About 6 months after my crazy tabouli panic began (and don't worry, I was still able to eat lunch, it just wasn't as fun), I found one lone box in a tiny convenience store near my college. I bought it, of course, and studied the ingredient list on the back and looked at the herb medley in the pouch. From there I created my own tabouli, which I found to be a thousand times more enjoyable because I had more freedom with the ingredients. I like it this way a lot more than the packaged kind at the store since it's drier and not mushy and weird. It may not be the official and correct way to make this dish, but it's certainly easy and satisfying, and that's all that really matters.

For an instructional video, watch the Food Ninja show you how it's done!




Tabouli, simplified 


Ingredients:


1 cup bulgar wheat
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
Dash of pepper
Garlic powder to taste
1 1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
2-4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled.


In a medium sized bowl mix bulgar wheat, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add boiling water and stir. Cover and let sit for a half hour in the fridge.

Seed and chop tomatoes and cucumber. Set aside.

Add olive oil and lemon juice to wheat mixture. Stir and add tomatoes and cucumber. Crumble feta into the bowl, mix, and taste. Adjust seasonings to fit your preferences.



Let cool in refrigerator for at least a half hour before eating. Can be kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator for at least a week.





0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP