Monday, June 28, 2010

Dill Macaroni Salad

Dill weed. It's a silly name for a tasty herb. An herb I have not much explored. I gathered some recipes, was offered some more, and have been patiently waiting for my dill to be usable. It has reached that point.

I decided to start with a dill macaroni salad. Why? Because I am unfamiliar with dill and I am very familiar with macaroni salad. I found a recipe using dill for a potato salad, and just adjusted it to fit with the way my mom makes macaroni salad to create some sort of monstrous taste-pile of goodness.


I found the dill to be pleasant to work with. Very easy to chop and with a pleasant smell. The reason I have been so hesitant to venture into this culinary realm is due to the fact that I absolutely despise pickles, and in my mind "dill" and "pickle" are forever together. I thought maybe the flavor in pickles that I can't stand came from dill. I was wrong. Turns out that anything pickled, even olives, instantly triggers the up-chuck reflex. Gross.

I have since learned the error of my ways. People have made many delicious treats involving dill, such as the ever hilarious Dill Dip. As much as I now know that dill is not the reason for my pickle hostility, I still am a little uncomfortable with it. Hence the familiar recipe made in a new and crazy way.

Plus, this has mayonnaise in it. You can't go wrong with a recipe involving mayonnaise. I love the stuff! In the recipe I wrote that you should use 1 cup of mayo, however keep in mind that more is always an option. An option I frequently choose. Needless to say, yet I'll still say it, I highly enjoyed this foray into the joys of dill weed.




Ingredients:

1 lb elbow macaroni
1 can tuna, drained 
1 Tbsp olive oil

Dressing-
1 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp paprika plus extra to garnish
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp cider vinegar
1 Tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
Salt and pepper


Cook macaroni according to box directions. Meanwhile, whisk the dressing together in a small bowl, cover and refrigerate to allow flavors to meld.

Put drained macaroni into a large mixing bowl. Mix in tuna and olive oil. Cover and refrigerate until cooled, about 2 or more hours, or overnight.

When cooled, pour dressing on top, and gently mix. Garnish with paprika and serve. Add more mayonnaise if necessary. 

2 comments:

Davina July 6, 2010 at 10:02 PM  

Dill Dip isn't hilarious, it's just tasty!!!

Megan Farquharson July 7, 2010 at 12:24 AM  

It's hilariously tasty!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP